[alsa-devel] A bug about cache inconsistency report

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Aug 10 17:15:34 CEST 2018

On Wed, 08 Aug 2018 13:07:06 +0200,
Hans Hu(SH-RD) wrote:

> > > [Hans :] As I know, In the hardware layer HDAC’s stream have two data transport path : non-snoop & snoop; In the software layer ALSA-Driver have two data transport path : mmap & not mmap(test shows, it is dependent on wav's format or mmap_flag in aplay.c). When hardware at non-snoop mode, without hardware module's help, software must mark the mem to uncacheable type: when mmap used, the mark action happened at pcm_mmap_prepare(), the not-mmap mode's mark action happened at __mark_pages_wc(). And when at not-mmap mode, the vmapped address directly used in snd_pcm_lib_write_transfer() -> copy_from_user().
> >

> > >Well, that's usually no problem regarding that cache coherency.
> > >At least it hasn't been any issue with Intel and AMD CPUs.
> > >Does the problem happen with Intel CPU instead of VIA?
> >
> > [Hans :] I don't have enough Intel/AMD machine here, up to now, only find one Intel's : HW: mother board is Dell 042P49, HDA controller is 8086:1c20, codec is cx20641.
>
> >And the same issue is seen on that machine?
>
> [Hans :] Yes

OK, then let's fix it properly.

I managed to add the non-cached type buffer allocations in the
memalloc.c, so that we can reduce lots of codes in each driver side.

The patches are pushed to topic/memalloc-uc branch of my sound git
tree.  Please give it a try and report back whether it works for you.

Since such a change in the core code would affect many drivers, I'll
postpone this for 4.20, in anyway.

thanks,