[alsa-devel] CS8409 Macbook Pro 2016 2017

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Sat Aug 4 08:48:10 CEST 2018

On Sat, 04 Aug 2018 04:07:43 +0200,
David Ulricht wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Macbook pro models containing CS8409 for sure are:
> MBP131 MBP141.I own MBP 14,1 e.g. 2017 model.
>
> I'm attaching working sound configuration from Windows 10 registry (note
> that the cs420x might need to be ignored or might be important i don't
> really know). I believe what is really used is in the PinConfigOverride
> section.

Comparing between BIOS default (init_pin_cfg in alsa-info.sh output)
and your override (user_pin_cfg), there aren't so many changes.
All changes are pretty minor, and I guess it won't influence on the
driver behavior.

> Interesting thing to note is that sound in MacOS is much louder than
> Bootcamp Windows, would be nice to hear how loud is on linux.

This is possibly with some vendor-specific GPIO or COEF verbs.
Or it's some direct I2C control.  The INI file mentions it.
And that's above HD-audio driver's responsibility.

> I did convert PinConfigOverride HEX strings to [pincfg] format in the
> attached hda-jack-retask.fw thanks to Takashi's guidance.
>
> I'm attaching also alsamixer ASCII. Only PCM, no Master ?

It's because the codec chip has no output amplifier at all.
So there can be neither output volume nor mute control on this chip.

> What I have tried is execute:
> hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_MASK 0x@@
> hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DIRECTION 0x@@
> hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x01 SET_GPIO_DATA 0x@@
> putting @@ from 0x00 to 0x50

There are eight GPIOs, so you'd need to test each bit, i.e. 0x01,
0x02, 0x04, 0x08, ... 0x80.

And how is the current situation?  You can't play *and* record
anything from any inputs / outputs?