[alsa-devel] Prague Audio miniconference - topics for discussion?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 6 14:55:31 CEST 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 19:45:05 +0200,
Mark Brown wrote:

> As previously announced[1] by Takashi our annual Linux audio
> miniconference will be held this year at the SuSE offices in Prague on
> 27th October (the week of ELC-E).  Thanks again to SuSe for sponsoring
> this.  As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a
> mailing list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any
> topics they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if
> we can sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even
> better!
>
> I'll start things off by mentining the TLV issues that Sakamoto-san was
> raising - do we have any better ideas to handle larger binary controls
> than what's currently being done?
>
> [1] http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2017-August/124623.html

Thanks Mark for heading up.
And sorry for the late reply, it took time to process backlogs after
my vacation.

Here are the lists of topics I had in my mind:

- Status-quo;
  Recap what's been added/changed recently from API/ABI POV

- USB-audio - PCM handling;
  it's been a known issue regarding the unnecessary latency with
  USB-audio.  Do we need a new operation mode?

- Dynamic device handling, e.g. HDMI/DP;
  currently we deal with only the card-level disconnection, but it
  doesn't work well with devices having multiple digital ports.
  The disconnected state also leads to a problem with PulseAudio.

- Year 2038 problem;
  PCM API changes RFC were posted recently on alsa-devel, and we have
  timespec in other APIs (rawmidi and timer), too.

- ASoC hotplug support;
  recent works / reports from Morimoto-san revealed the lack of
  hotplug support in ASoC.

- Drop of obsoleted drivers / features;
  time to think of diet?

- API/ABI documentation;
  do we have a better shape than before?  How can it be improved?

- ALSA user-space stuff releases;
  maybe we should stick with more strict release schedule?

thanks,