[alsa-devel] Question re: static-y sound on an Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard...

Graham TerMarsch alsa at howlingfrog.com
Wed Apr 5 01:17:56 CEST 2017

I recently purchased a new computer w/an Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard in it,
which uses a Realtek ALC S1220-A chipset (according to the specs at asus.com)

Although the "snd_hda_codec_generic" module does load and produce sound, the
"left speaker" outputs static along with the sound.  Quieter the sound, the
louder the static.  If I use the headphone jack the sound is perfect, but
using the speaker output it has static (and _only_ on the left side).

I'm currently running Fedora-25, and the 4.10.5 kernel release.

I tried patching in a535ad57d0e6b ("hda/realtek - New codec support of
ALC1220") but with no luck; upon rebooting it does not load that module.
indicate that it detected the card and is in use.

I'm not sure what the exact status is for this motherboard at the moment and
whether or not it is currently supported, but I thought I would reach out and
ask.  Would be happy to test patches and/or provide any info I can from this
motherboard, if that would prove useful.

Much appreciated,

--
Graham TerMarsch