[alsa-devel] Question about the buffer length in the transfer callback of the PCM External Plugin

Bach, Andrea andrea.bach at dfs.de
Mon Oct 31 10:01:02 CET 2016

Hello,

how can I change the size that is provided inside the „transfer“-callback of an external PCM plugin?

Background:
I need to write a filter plugin and I have to use for processing a chunk size of power of two (32, 64, or 128 bytes … that’s because of the use of FFT). But I get inside the transfer callback a buffer of length 1000. That would be ok if I could just return let's say  960 bytes – but after some struggling I have some doubt about it because I got the impression that ALSA cannot change the bitrate inside such a plugin – the documentation states it could not change the sample rate – but actually how can I return less or more bytes – so maybe the bitrate should also be constant? Maybe I misunderstood the concepts of ALSA completely?

Kind regards

Dr. A. Bach, Software-Entwicklung Simulatoren
DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH
Forschungszentrum
Am DFS-Campus 5
63225 Langen
06103-707-5709

DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GmbH
Am DFS-Campus
D - 63225 Langen

Tel.: +49-(0)6103-707-0

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Langen/Hessen
Zuständiges Registergericht: AG Offenbach am Main, HRB 34977
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Martina Hinricher
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Klaus-Dieter Scheurle (Vors.), Robert Schickling, Dr. Michael Hann

Internet: http://www.dfs.de
Public-Key der DFS: http://www.dfs.de/dfs/public_key.asc