[alsa-devel] [RFC] ASOC: HDMI audio info frame speaker allocation

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 30 23:27:22 CET 2016

On 11/30/16 11:54 AM, Arnaud Pouliquen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to understand how to implement the speaker allocation for
> HDMI output.
>
> input:
>  - HDMI sink provides the speaker presence in ELD structure
>  - audio source can also contain channels position.
>
> output:
>  Audio info frame (IF) should contain audio channel allocation (
> hdmi_audio_infoframe structure).
>
> So if i well understand the concept, application should be in charge of
> aligning channels with HDMI sink speakers...

Yes. However some HDMI IPs provide hardware means to swap the channels -
mainly because the order of channels varies between OSes and encoding
schemes. The notion of 'aligning' might be limited in those cases to
setting the relevant ALSA controls, not necessarily an active software
channel swap and change of the channel map handled by the application.