[alsa-devel] problem with the driver for ALC3260 sound chip

marve marve at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 23 21:42:26 CET 2016

Dear all,

Here a rephrase of my issue with TOSLINK SPDIF output of my Dell XPS One
2710 system running Linux.

First: I have tried other hardware with my DTS receiver and the receiver
worked fine. Also I have checked the HDMI output of my computer, also
working!

Second: The SPDIF output worked fine on a Windows 7 installation with
PCM and DTS. I stopped using Windows privately.

Most success I got with debugging the SPDIF TOSLINK is:
- With the HDA Intel sound cards Jack Retasking tool:
     - Check Showing unconnected pins. Actually, the TOSLINK is
connected but shows "not connected" in the tool.
     - Manually override Pin ID 0x1e
     - Select "SPDIF Out" and "Apply Now"

- Then with PulseAudio Volume Control:
    -  In the Configuration Tab, select "Profile: Digital Stereo
(IEC958) Output"
    -  In the Output Devices "Digital Output (S/PDIF)" appears and is
the only option and in the advanced tab PCM, DTS, AC3, MPEG, EAC3, AAC
are selected

 - I check if in alsamixer tool that the SPDIF channel is unmuted

When I play a sound, the vumeter of PulseAudio Volume Control does
react, see png attachment (https://postimg.org/image/5tu4rax9t/), but my
external DTS receiver doesn't get input!

I really got stuck here!

Best,
Marijn