[alsa-devel] simple-audio-card and external dynamic clock

Emmanuel Fusté emmanuel.fuste at laposte.net
Thu Mar 24 22:51:36 CET 2016

Hello,

I m very new to ASoC (and not native english speaker) so be indulgent ;-)
The context  : am335x-boneblack.
I want to drive simple I2S targets. With the ongoing developments, and
recent patches posted here, this is a very simple job for the
simple-audio-card machine driver even with fixed external master clock.
I want to go further using a programmable external clock (si570) which
is not very complicated thanks to the CCF.
But now I want to use the dynamic nature of this external master clock
(through CCF) to be able to generate 44.1khz AND 48 multiples of fs
which is not natively possible on the BBB because of integer fs scaling
only and/or no dedicated audio PLL.
I know that the same could be achieved on the BBB with switching between
internal clock (24mhz) and external one (24.576mhz) gated by GPIO1_27,
but this is another story.

Which direction is the right one ?
- dedicated machine driver ?
- or something more generic / reusable implemented in the
simple-audio-card drivers through helpers routines ?
- or something else ?

Than you.
Emmanuel.