[alsa-devel] No audio output via built-in speaker on a MacMini while headphone jack is plugged in

moosotc at gmail.com moosotc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:16:11 CET 2016

Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:11:10 +0100,
> moosotc at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> [1 Output of alsa-info.sh <application/octet-stream (base64)>]
>>

>> `amixer set Speaker unmute' makes no difference
>> physically unplugging the headphone jack from the socket does, i.e.
>> `amixer set Speaker (un)mute' does the right thing.
>
> Could you give more details?  The description is too concise and
> vague.

I have a script to toggles sound emission by the built-in speaker:

#!/bin/sh
amixer get Speaker | grep -q "\[on\]" && onoff="mute" || onoff="unmute"
amixer set Speaker $onoff
echo "$onoff"

As we speak:

`--> atoggle
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
unmute

This setting is ignored when (i.e. speaker is always silent) if the
headphone jack is plugged in.

This used to work in prior kernels, I believe I've shared my bisection
results with you in one of the earlier (personal) e-mails, if there's a
better way to achieve the desired result (i.e. control sound emission by
the speaker regardless of the headphone jack plug-status) I'll happily
use that instead.

mailto:moosotc at gmail.com