[alsa-devel] [RFD] Add hw_params support for hostless stream BE DAIs

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Mar 2 03:04:48 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:51:14AM +0000, Liam Girdwood wrote:

> The only problem we have with using a kcontrol to define params is that
> we already have an existing kernel ioctl and public C API to define
> SW/HW params. This would add another mechanism, unless each new kcontrol
> allows modification of a single param ?

It's to an extent a choice between two evils here - if we've got
something that looks like you should be able to play audio through it
but you can't actually play audio through it and need to write a custom
application to control it then how much are we winning in consistency?
On the other hand the mechanisms for discovering and running through
constraints that PCMs currently have are useful.