[alsa-devel] Improving status timestamp accuracy

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 03:24:20 CEST 2016

> On 05/06/16 02:14, Raymond Yau wrote:
>
> the point only increment in DMA brust size , so it is not sample accurate
>

> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/tree/include/linux/dmaengine.h
>
> * @DMA_RESIDUE_GRANULARITY_BURST: Residue is updated after each transferred
>
>  *  burst. This is typically only supported if the hardware has a progress *  register of some sort (E.g. a register with the current read/write address *  or a register with the amount of bursts/beats/bytes that have been *  transferred or still need to be transferred).
>
>  if the driver point callback does not read from hardware register , it should use
>
>  DMA_RESIDUE_GRANULARITY_DESCRIPTOR: Residue reporting is not support. The *  DMA channel is only able to tell whether a descriptor has been completed or *  not, which means residue reporting is not supported by this channel. The *  residue field of the dma_tx_state field will always be 0.
>

> Yes, I understand that. And that is exactly my point. Because of this a
> pcm_status() result is only accurate to a granularity of period in most
> cases.
>
> In fact, some drivers, for example imx sdma, declare
> DMA_RESIDUE_GRANULARITY_BURST accuracy because sometimes they may have such
> an accuracy but in practice, at least for audio, they only actually achieve
> period accuracy.
>
> Regardless of what value of DMA_RESIDUE_GRANULARITY_xxx that a driver
> claims to support, it is not really defined how fine a burst might be. So
> the end result is, from the point of view of audio, that the resulting
> position obtained by the pointer() call is pretty inaccurate. Hence my
> proposal to attempt to improve the accuracy of the pcm_status() result
> given the above constraints.

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commitdiff;h=cf40ea169aad366b222283f431addafea6327149;hp=4bdb09126a32feb4394eaeb1d400d87e7c968770

HDA has hardware specific feature (audio wallclock) for the timestamp and
period wakeup can be disabled

only a few pci drivers which read the residue value from hardware register
(e.g. hda-intel, oxygen , .) you have to measure the granularity since the
unit may be different for usb, pcie and firewire sound card

as the application is based on the pointer for read/write, you still need
to use small period size and CPU power if you want to determine the value
returned by snd_pcm_rewindable is safe or not