[alsa-devel] Speaker burnout

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Mar 31 12:43:25 CEST 2015

On 2015-03-31 12:06, Nikita N. wrote:
>> If you have any concrete examples (alsa-info please!) of speakers that
>> can be burned out, and you know a maximum speaker volume where this
> As we said, that is not our bug, we are not audio experts, nor any of us
> is interested in audio matters.

Here's my suggestion how to move forward on this:

  1) Gather consensus that limit the maximum volume on internal speakers
is the right way forward. Takashi, Clemens, anyone against that strategy?

  2) From the person with the hardware, we will need alsa-info (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo ), and also the max volume where
this does not happen. Is -6 dB good enough? -12 dB? I don't know - this
is something someone with the hardware must tell us, it cannot simply be
guessed.

  3) I or someone else can write a kernel patch that limits the maximum
volume of the speakers to the amount deducted from point 2). Considering
that we're actually dealing with hardware breakage, this should be sent
to stable as well. Then no userspace application can set the volume
higher than our limit.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic