[alsa-devel] bug

Nikita N. nikitan at operamail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:56:01 CEST 2015

> First of all, I can't say I'm representing the ALSA project or anyone else
> in this matter, so the following is just my personal opinion.
As we already wrote, we are not blaming you or ALSA.

> particular mixer application such as alsamixergui, but should be able to
> happen with any mixer application, given the appropriate settings.
That is indeed what we are afraid, if anybody will have the brilliant
idea to reverse engineer that tool to a more damaging level in a
virus/malware , and make its effect unstoppable.

> Secondly, if you believe that alsamixergui specifically is missbehaving,
> why don't you just take it out of your distribution (dCore)?
as we wrote, we are going to do this.

> Given the proliferation of cheap PC hardware this is not surprising
as you say, given the proliferation of cheap PC hardware, a
proliferation of such virus/malware could upset not only our users.

> it is hardly a software problem.
I personally don't agree with that.
As we wrote, not everybody is omniscient, I personally was not aware of
this issue, before was pointed out.
Without warnings, even a Teddy Bear can be dangerous.

> alsamixergui is not created by the ALSA
> project, so this mailing list is the wrong place to look if none other
> than for that particular reason.
Sure, we would be very grateful if you could point that out, so we can
contact the individual who programmed this tool
Unless it's not a secret or there is smtng to hide.

--
  Nikita N.
  nikitan at operamail.com

--