[alsa-devel] Separate input and output jacks for one UCM device?

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Thu Mar 19 15:19:53 CET 2015

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 03:09:30PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> As far as I understand correctly, so far ASoC drivers also report
> headset as boolean (the bits are multiple, but reports are either zero
> or N bits).  So, we agreed on creating boolean "Headset" kctls.

That's right - every input our output that might appear on the port is a
separate boolean flag so we can represent any combination of them.

> One option is to provide multiple boolean kctls ("Headset Mic Jack").
> Another option is to allow enum type for kctl jacks.  Or, yet another
> alternative is to provide an enum ctl (e.g. "Headset Jack Type") in
> addition to a boolean kctl ("Headset Jack").  There can be other ways,
> too...

I think any of those work; my guess is that the "Headset Jack Type" enum
is the one that's going to be least disruptive to the ABI (in that it
keeps the existing control untouched).