[alsa-devel] pcm512x driver: Mixer control naming issue

Howard Mitchell hm at hmbedded.co.uk
Mon Mar 16 10:47:07 CET 2015

On 16/03/15 07:47, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:28:01 +0000,
> Howard Mitchell wrote:

>>> You say "these controls" but it seems like only "Playback Volume" has
>>> a problem?  My first suggestion would be to define "Analog" or
>>> "Analogue" as a prefix in ControlNames and then use that, that would
>>> avoid confusing applications while still fittig in with the naming
>>> convention.
>> Yes you are correct that it's only "Playback Volume" that is causing a
>> problem. However, I included "Playback Boost Volume" as it also provides
>> a selection of analogue gain so I think it should be treated similarly
>> for consistency.
> Did you read Documentation/sound/alsa/ControlNames.txt?
> It shows why "Playback Volume" is taken in that way while "Playback
> Boost Volume" not.  Namely, the latter implies a volume control named
> "Playback Boost" which is applied generically -- i.e. the direction is
> unknown or applied to both playback and capture.
Sorry, what I meant by "treated similarly for consistency" is that
whatever solution is decided upon to fix the issue with "Playback
Volume" should also be applied to "Playback Boost Volume".

Your comment about the direction being unknown for "Playback Boost
Volume" is interesting though as when running alsamixer I find that
"Playback Volume" is also listed as a capture control. Neither makes
sense of course as this device does not have a capture path.

- Howard