[alsa-devel] RawMIDI behaviour with MidiFace 4x4

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Mar 10 09:02:46 CET 2015

Kalvas, Taneli wrote:
> This is a common problem with many devices across several brands of
> devices and influences not only Linux but also other systems (see for
> example a list by wabbiguy at http://forum.highlyliquid.com/archive/index.php/t-500.html).

These devices use different firmwares and drivers, and as far as I know,
work flawlessly in Linux.  This appears to be a problem with the Windows
MIDI framework.  (Apparently, it behaves like the ALSA sequencer, i.e.,
drops data when its internal buffer overflows; there is no blocking API
like snd_rawmidi_*.)

> What do you think about a possibility for a customized driver for this
> class of hardware (I mean usb compliant midi interfaces with broken
> output ring buffer)?

Such a customization would be possible.  But it's unlikely that I will
find time in the near future.

Regards,
Clemens