[alsa-devel] Softvol only after device has opened

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Tue Jun 9 14:32:43 CEST 2015

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> > Can "alsactl restore" be run before the device is opened then?
>
> Many distributions run "alsactl restore" in some startup script.
> You can execute it yourself whenever you want.

What I was getting at was that although I can't do:

$ amixer sset Capture 192

if Capture is defined by the softvol plugin, and I haven't opened the
device prior to running amixer, however

$ alsactl restore 0:

works, assuming that I've saved the settings previously, even before the
device is opened. I can understand that this is very useful and desired,
but given that the underlying control does not yet exist, it puzzles me
that it actually works.

/Ricard