[alsa-devel] alsa-lib support for compress offload

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jan 23 07:41:02 CET 2015

At Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:03:16 -0600,
Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> On 1/22/15 3:56 PM, Vinod Koul wrote:
> > Can we actually support compress with current alsa APIs? If yes then we can
> > do rework and keep current tinycompress APIs for Andporid and let core lib
> > be reused, if not then we can go with these new APIs
>
> No. We need to be able to pass decoder/encoder parameters, and we need
> the ability to deal with bytes, without any fixed mapping between bytes
> and time. If we want any convergence we'd need ALSA to deal with bytes
> only and not frames, in addition to the extra configuration steps, which
> would be a complete API change.

I don't think of merging the compress offload into PCM alsa-lib API.
My point is only that the API function forms in tinycompress should be
aligned with the existing alsa-lib API functions, e.g. open should
take the name string, etc.  Managing the compress offload into the PCM
API would need redesigns, and I don't think it's worth.