[alsa-devel] Asynchronous ALSA - callback and latency questions

Bram Bos bos3 at upcmail.nl
Tue Sep 9 10:44:01 CEST 2014

> > I’m using ALSA for building a performance musical instrument, so I’m after
> > low-latency audio output.
> >
> > 1. I’m using asynchronous audio output (i.e. using a callback).
>
> Don't.

That's an interesting insight. I reckoned using a callback was the most elegant
solution since that's what I'm used to for DirectSound, iOS, OSX, WMME, ASIO
etc.

So what would be the most bulletproof way of dealing with streaming audio
instead? Can I do polling in a non-blocking state? I think blocking-state audio
is out of the question since I do need to handle MIDI I/O and UI events at the
same time.

Thanks
Bram