[alsa-devel] Headphone output problems with HP ProDesk 600 G1 (Realtek ALC221)

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 02:41:24 CET 2014

> >> I think that is what the labelling is indicating, yes.
> >

> http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/manualsResults/?sp4ts.oid=5387447
> >
> > refer to the maintenance and service guide
> >
> > When a device is plugged into the Microphone/Headph
> > one Connector, a dialog box will pop up asking if
> > you want to use the connector for a microphone Line-In
> > device or a headphone. You can reconfigure the connector
> > at any time by double-clicking the Audio Manager icon in the Windows
> taskbar
> >

> >  the hardware reference guide and Illustrated Parts and Service map
> >  microphone jack and headphone jack
> >
> > it seem not support TRRS headset
> >
> > Do the icon really show a headset ( headphone with mic) ?
>
> I suppose not, it just has a headphone and a microphone. I assume it's
> quite possible that it only supports one at a time.

headphone mic jack mode is supported for those computer with only one jack
and alsa driver use special sequencer number to identify

the pinctl of a retasktable jack is changed from OUT to IN and vice/versa

the pin complex is retaskable when the pincap support both IN and OUT

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/?id=ced4cefc75fdb8be95eaee325ad0f6b2fc0a484b

>> > use hda-jack-sense-test to find the nodes of front panel jacks and rear
>> > panel jacks
>>
>> From what I can tell:
>>
>> When the headphone-only jack is plugged into, nothing happens with jack
>> sensing
>> When the headphone/mic jack is plugged into, both Pin 0x1a (Black Mic)
>> and Pin 0x21 (Black HP Out) show present
>> When the rear line out jack is plugged into, Pin 0x14 (Green Line Out)
>> shows present
>> When the rear line in jack is plugged into, nothing happens with jack
>> sensing
>

> did you use "-a" option for hda-jack-sense-test ?

That did give one more result: when plugging in the headphone-only
> jack, 0x18 (Not connected) reports present. I'm not sure if node 0x18
> is actually related to the headphone for anything other than the jack
> sensing, though, as none of the settings for that node in hda_analyzer
> have any effect on the audio output on that jack (even the mute).

did you set pin ctl to OUT HP of node 0x18 ?

> As I mentioned in the Bugzilla report, as it turns out, with default
> settings I can get audio to play out from the headphone jack with the
> "Analog Output" mode selected in PulseAudio. The big problem is that
> the audio is distorted with hiss and popping noises, which I haven't
> been able to figure out at all. Any suggestions?

do pulseaudio log show any path is removed since you don't have headphone
playback volume or front playback volume , front playback switch?

try hint jack_detect=0 to disable all jack detection of all jacks

and use hda-analyzer to mute /unmute the pin complex of line out and
headphone

the other thing you can try is use hda-jack-retask to change internal
speaker as [N/A] , this allow line out and headphone get it own volume
control and audio output