[alsa-devel] trouble using S/PDIF input on CMI8738-MC6: C-Media CMI8738 (model 55)

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Aug 21 12:31:28 CEST 2014

Jon wrote:
> i/o error and resulting 44-byte file of silence.

This indicates that the chip does not see any S/PDIF signal.

Can't you connect some S/PDIF output to an input for testing?

> I'm wondering if this problem could be really just as simple as
> someone having guessed wrong about the correct value there having not
> had this particular model on hand to test with?

C-Media chips were very common once upon a time, and S/PDIF input always
worked just fine for everybody else.  There are no GPIOs, so the only
possible hardware implementation is to connect the S/PDIF input directly
to the chip's input pin(s).

The Windows driver for this board is the standard C-Media driver, so
there isn't any additional hardware that needs to be programmed.

I don't know anything that could be done.

Regards,
Clemens