[alsa-devel] can't insmod patched snd-usb-audio

Ira Malinich thub at iname.com
Thu Aug 21 02:25:54 CEST 2014

Daniel Mack <daniel <at> zonque.org> writes:

> Interesting. Why isn't this patch mainline? Keeping such things
> out-of-tree are likely to cause maintenance overhead in the future, and
> people who don't want to (or are unable to) compile a kernel themselves
> will not benefit from it.

I know I'd like to see it in mainline.

> Tobias doesn't seem to have a public mail address (at least I didn't
> find any in his GH profile), so I can't ask him whether he considers
> sending a patch for inclusion.

It looks like he is pretty responsive to issues in github, but he's made it
clear he doesn't have the time to invest in getting this in mainline.

> Orm, would you be up for it? It needs to be done by someone with access
> to the hardware for testing. There are some things that need cleanup,
> but we can best discuss those in replies to a patch.

I wish I could volunteer, but I have no idea what I'm doing with kernel
stuff.  I have a Scarlett 6i6 to test with and may be able to get access to
an 18i20 as well, if that's in any way useful.

  - Ira