[alsa-devel] Audio mini conference 2014?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Aug 20 09:33:05 CEST 2014

At Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:32:37 +0530,
Vinod Koul wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 07:48:33AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > ===
> >
> > Audio Miniconf 2014 Topics
> >
> > - ASoC componentization (Lars)
> >
> > - Dynamic FW (Vinod)
> >   Me and Liam will try to send RFCs before the conference. At least on
> >   my side thats next todo after current mrfld driver is done.
> >
> >   We have working code atm. For the folks who want to look at early
> >   state of affairs, here are the trees:
> >   Kernel: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/vkoul/sound.git dfw-3.15
> >   Usermode: git://git.infradead.org/users/vkoul/dynamic_fw.git
> >
> > - Effect API (yet again) (Vinod)
> >
> > - More DSP support esp on PCM side (Vinod)
> >
> > - Rewinding in ALSA PCM plugins (Alexander)
> >
> > - Resampler quality evaluation for PulseAudio (Alexander)
> >
> > - Testing / QA (Takashi)
> >   How people do test?  Can we have some automation?
> >   (IIRC, openSUSE has some automatic audio test running on VM, but I
> >    forgot the details...)
> I would be interested in this as well, some test framework for auto regression
> checks would be great.
>
> I think Mark would be at KS and can update if we can leverage something for
> kselftest stuff being discussed there

Yep, let's see :)

> > - ABI/API documentation (Takashi)
> >   We're not good at this at all, obviously.  Let's define the priority
> >   to start working on.
> I think ASoC has grown a lot with DPCM etc making it very dynamic atm. So
> yes it will help to add more
>
> > - Control names (Takashi)
> >   It's wild west for now, everyone picks up a random funky name.
> yes, I think the current control names were too HDA specific.

Actually, the current names are based on hardware in era before
HD-audio.  Even HD-audio doesn't fit fully with the current rule.

> With DSP and
> audio hub proliferation on SoCs/Codecs revisiting this would certainly be
> great. Like how do I specify volume control for gain before a mixer, or gain
> in capture BE which is different from the one on capture FE.
>

> > - Code removals (Takashi)
> >   There have been actions to remove the codes for old hardware
> >   recently.  Which is acceptable?  Feature removals, too?
>
> Configuration convergence:
> >From the OS side, we have Desktop OSes relying on PA, Chrome using CRAS,
> Android using flinger. With DSPs and tons of configuration it doesn't bode
> well to have multiple configuration for same stuff for the sound cards. Can
> we talk about unifying the configuration at least. Sure OSes will have their
> own ways to use, but from ALSA can we standardize configurations which
> can be reused across.

I thought UCM was targeted to this, but not widely used as expected?

> And lastly, our users :)
> Ask from PA, Android, ChomesOS folks??

Yeah.  Let's throw a call for topic to relevant MLs when the schedule
and location is finalized.