[alsa-devel] trouble using S/PDIF input on CMI8738-MC6: C-Media CMI8738 (model 55)

Jon jon at seniorblanco.com
Wed Aug 13 19:11:23 CEST 2014

On 08/13/2014 08:14 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> jon wrote:
>> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Record',0
>>    Mono: Playback [off]
>
> Shouldn't this be on?

Yes, it should, and actually it automatically turns itself on
automatically when the arecord command is started, and then back off
after the i/o error.  Note that this is one of the toggles that only
appeared in alsamixer after the source code change of the two "#if 0"
lines to "#if 1".

>> Simple mixer control 'IEC958 In Select',0
>>    Mono: Playback [on]
>
> IIRC this selects between two different inputs.
> Try both settings.

Yes, the documentation I have read suggests it should toggle between the
internal CDROM when off and the external digital input when on, however
I have tried both settings and there is no apparent change in behavior.
  I still get an i/o error and a 44 byte file either way.