[alsa-devel] can't insmod patched snd-usb-audio

Orm Finnendahl orm.finnendahl at selma.hfmdk-frankfurt.de
Sat Aug 9 13:40:01 CEST 2014

Hi,

 hope it's ok to post it here as it's not (yet) official alsa: After
having no issues with Tobias Hoffmann's scarlett alsa mixer patch on
my older kernels, trying to insmod the patched kernel modules on my
most current kernel (the patch and documentation obtained with
"git clone http://github.com/trrichard/alsa-driver_scarlett.git")
fails with the following message:

root at x1-orm:/usr/src/linux-source-3.14# insmod sound/usb/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module sound/usb/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko: Unknown symbol in module

root at x1-orm:/usr/src/linux-source-3.14# insmod sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko: Unknown symbol in module

I'm on debian testing with 3.14-2-amd64 kernel and followed all the
instructions in the scarlett kernel patch README (I tried three times
each with a fresh kernel source tree from scratch to be sure). The
patch has worked for me on older kernels without any problems.

Does anybody know how to deal with this? Let me know if you need
further information.

Yours,
Orm