[alsa-devel] Fast Track Ultra 8r...

Petri Järvisalo petri.jarvisalo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 16:25:33 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm new here and somewhat understand how to script php and python ... and
very unskilled with linux... anyway i noticed that the default alsa mixer
values for fast track ultra 8r are way off the optimal when the sound card
is first time plugged in.

What I expected was clear stereo/surround sound, what i got was distorted
mono sound with reverb! Far away from optimal settings!

So, I stated to seek knowledge on web, and finally stumbled upon a homepage
that had some info about the Linux support.

What i found out was that the sound card has internal routing system, zero
latency and a effect processor.Also i found out that the routing works by
controlling the input/output levels at alsa mixer.

The problem, by default all alsa mixer values are assigned to 100%, this
means the internal routing is routing everything to everything distorting
the sound, and making the output mono!

The website I found had suggestion and a bash script to correct the
internal routing:
http://heikki.ketoharju.info/2013/03/linux-and-fasttrackultra/#comment-989

alas, the main article is a good read too :)

Well the script did not work for me, so i changed the settings manually to
my alsa mixer, which took quite some time, and it works like a charm.

Anyway my best wish would be to get a fix for this sound card, so it would
"just work" when plugged in.

Thanks for any info on how i could get this "patch" to be widely available
so others could benefit it too.

Best regards,
Petri