[alsa-devel] Internal Mic Boost channel is unused

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Oct 10 15:33:07 CEST 2013

On 10/09/2013 09:58 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> On 10/09/2013 01:46 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
>> On 09/16/2013 03:57 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
>>> Matching this with your alsa-info, we can see that 'Mic Jack'
>>> corresponds to 0x1b and 'Mic Jack', index=1 corresponds to 0x1a.
>>>
>>> Hence you could try turning pin 0x1a to "not connected" in
>>> hda-jack-retask. (I don't know how/if hda-jack-retask is packaged in
>>> Fedora, but it is part of alsa-tools.)
>>>
>>> If this resolves your problem, we could then try making that the default
>>> in upcoming kernels, but the question is we really dare to do that,
>>> without clear confirmation that 0x1a is actually useless. In current
>>> state it's a bit buggy, but if the headphone jack is actually a headset
>>> jack turning that off would make the headset mic go from "needs manual
>>> adjustment to work" to "completely unusuable".
>>
>> So that adjustment allows the internal microphone to be useable. However
>> the mic in jack is now completely unusable. With a headset or a plain
>> microphone.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>

> Actually I was wrong. I plugged it into the wrong jack. With that retask
> everything seems to work now. Plugging in a microphone into the mic jack
> picks up that audio, unplugging it uses the built in mic. So that's
> good. What's the next step?

Ok, so I made a patch (just sent it) that properly names the headset mic
as such, so we don't end up with "Mic" and "Mic 1" but "Mic" and
"Headset Mic" instead.

It is a step in the right direction and I encourage you to test it - but
it does not solve the more difficult problem with the parser: that all
three inputs go through node 0x17, and that node gets a control "xxx
Boost" that's named after one of them, without indication that it
actually controls boost for all three of them.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic