[alsa-devel] am335x: mcasp in DIT mode

Bedia, Vaibhav vaibhav.bedia at ti.com
Mon Mar 4 07:22:18 CET 2013

Hi Yegor,

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 16:23:53, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> I've solved the problem with DIT/SPDIF mode (see the issue description
> here: http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/p/247447/870030.aspx).
>
> In davinci_mcasp_hw_params() the DIT or I2S params will be set in the
> beginning. DIT mode configures the DAVINCI_MCASP_TXMASK_REG and
> DAVINCI_MCASP_TXFMT_REG.
>
> And here comes the problem:
>
> at the end of davinci_mcasp_hw_params() the
> davinci_config_channel_size() will touch the same registers again and
> thus overwrite the settings necessary for DIT. After I commented this
> routine I got the sound over S/PDIF and sii9022a HDMI transmitter and
> I could see the proper bits appearing on my oscilloscope.
>
> What were the best way to solve this problem?
>
> 1. execute  davinci_config_channel_size() only if not in DIT mode?
> 2. for DIT only change the DAVINCI_MCASP_TXMASK_REG according to channel width?
> 3. execute
>
> if (dev->op_mode == DAVINCI_MCASP_DIT_MODE)
>                 davinci_hw_dit_param(dev);
> else
>                 davinci_hw_param(dev, substream->stream);
>
> after davinci_config_channel_size()

AFAIK DIT mode was working on Davinci platforms some time back. Since AM335x
has the same hardware block I was surprised to see this bug report. Not having
a setup handy to test out DIT related changes, I looked at the commits on the
mcasp file to figure out what happened. I suspect one of the recent patches which
added 24bit support inadvertently broke the DIT support. Would it be possible
for you to do a git-bisect to find out what change it was? It would be good
to reference that change in the final patch.

Coming to the 3 options that you have listed I would suggest going with #1.
DIT mode requires the configuration to be 32 bit slot with rotation set to 24
but looks like the current implementation of davinci_config_channel_size()
doesn't handle this scenario very well. I think the driver needs a bit of
rework to ensure Tx and Rx paths don't end up overwriting the configuration
but that needs to be taken up separately.

#2 looks to more of a workaround and IMO #3 places an implicit dependency
on the call order without solving the overwrite issue that you hit.

Regards,
Vaibhav