[alsa-devel] ASoC: no-pcm (backend) error propagation

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Sat Mar 2 04:32:07 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:24:50PM +0000, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 00:49 +0000, Frkuska, Joshua wrote:

Reflowed both sets of text into 80 columns...

> > With architectures that have an audio DSP, I think it makes sense to
> > do it as it is done with OMAP where underruns can be handled
> > internally by the DSP. The need came up for me because in my setup
> > there isn’t a dedicated audio DSP and the BE components are on the
> > same SoC as the FE, running/controlled by linux. (with the exception
> > of the codec)

> So if there is no audio DSP architecture then I assume you have some
> sort of DAI switch matrix/mixers in the HW and you don't do any ASRC ?

The modern Samsung SoCs are an example of this in mainline (currently a
bit bodged rather than using soc-pcm) - they've got a couple of DAIs
with a simple mixer that outputs on a single physical output, requiring
that both streams be at the same sample rate.  There's no meaningful
handling of underruns to do except for propagate them back up to the
application layer, each stream can error totally independently.