[alsa-devel] HDA regression on Fujitsu S7020 laptop (ALC260 codec)

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sat Jan 5 05:45:10 CET 2013

On 01/05/2013 03:49 AM, Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 10:02:53AM +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
>> On 01/03/2013 11:39 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>> The jack retasking of the headphone input is still an open issue.
>>> I can provide a patch to add the support via "Headphone Jack Mode"
>>> enum, but David didn't like that approach.
>>
>> Meanwhile, there is hda-jack-retask utility (in the alsa-tools
>> package) that might be helpful for Jonathan?
>
> I discovered that utility during my initial investigations.  Unfortunately
> it requires GTK3 and I have not yet had an opportunity to upgrade the laptop
> to a distro version which includes it.  Given my schedule I suspect it's
> going to be several months before I get the chance.

Maybe I should add an ncurses interface ;-)

Anyway, if it's easier for you to read the HDA spec than upgrading your
laptop, you can use the kernel interfaces directly using a "firmware
patch" file or reconfigure sysfs. This is what hda-jack-retask uses.

The documentation for these interfaces are at
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt - see
the "HD-Audio Reconfiguration" and "Early Patching" sections.

Or a compromise; boot up a live-CD of a newer distro, create the
firmware file with hda-jack-retask, then copy the result back to your
current distro setup.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic