[alsa-devel] M-Audio Audiophile 192 (ice1724)'s broken spdif capture

Jonas Petersen jnsptrsn1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 23:47:53 CET 2013

Am 02.02.2013 11:44, schrieb Pavel Hofman:
>> Its at the right level (-12dB) and the L/R channels match. But it's
>> somehow capturing twice the rate. The 1 kHz come in as 2 kHz. There must
>> still be something wrong.
> That is actually quite common  too :) Please take a look at the initial
> comment section of prodigy192.c where I describe the setup I had to
> figure out experimentally. You will have to play with OCKS0/1 of ak4114
> (initial chip config in ap192_ak4114_init). Should you not be able to
> find the right combination suitable for all incoming samplerates, you
> can play with  VT1724_MT_I2S_MCLK_128X of ice1724 (default defined in
> ice1724.c:stdclock_set_spdif_clock , can be overriden in
> ice->set_spdif_clock for the ap192).

Yeah, I found the right combination, it's OCKS0=1,OCKS1=0. Now the spdif
input works, thank you!

I wonder why there is no level controls for the analog input (e.g. in
alsamixer). Is that because the "AK5385 ADC chip has no control"? The
ESI Juli doesn't have an analog input level control as well.

>> Regarding the sample rate detection. It seems it's the channel status
>> bits that get interpreted by the windows driver. The fs bits from the
>> AK4114 seem to be unused. But the channel status definitely changes some
>> bits on sample rate changes.
> Good catch. Would the FSx registers provide correct info, or
> interpretation of the RX Channel status bytes will have to implemented
> into ak4114.c:snd_ak4114_rate_get?

Ok, to make it clear, on the ap192 the FSx registers are always at their
default (0001). So far I've never seen them on any other value. Only the
corresponding Channel Status bits do change.

Well, I guess by default snd_ak4114_rate_get should still interpret the
FSx bits. Other cards might work as expected (see 'Observation C' below).
In the case of the ap192 it might make sense to read the Channel Status.
Maybe it needs a flag that gets set on card initializing indicating what
should be used?

But, after all it seems there is still something obscure in the rate
detection. Because while watching the ak4114 registers when switching
sample rates I made the following observations:

Observation A:

RME Multiface spdif out goes to AP192 spdif in. In Linux the FSx bits
are alwas "0001" and the Channel Status bis are set according to sample
rate and mode (consumer/professional).

Observation B:

ESI Julia spdif out goes to AP192 spdif in. (Recall that in windows the
AP192 _does_ detect sample rate changes!)
In Linux the FSx bits are alwas "0001" and the Channel Status bis are
(almost) always _all_ "0". It seems the ESI does not send Channel Status
at all (could it be the misconfiguration of the ESI?). It looks like this:

0x07 = 0x10 (00010000) [FS3,2,1,0 etc.]
0x08 = 0x00 (00000000) [CS0]
0x09 = 0x00 (00000000) [CS1]
0x0a = 0x00 (00000000) [CS2]
0x0b = 0x00 (00000000) [CS3]
0x0c = 0x00 (00000000) [CS4]

There is one strange exception. When I switch the output to spdif in the
(I think it is) pulseaudio GUI. Then register 0x09 will be '00000010'
for 5 second and switch back to '00000000'. When I play the test sound,
then register 0x09 _and_ register 0x0b will be '00000010' for 5 second
and switch back. Other than that the Channel Status does not change.

Now, how is the windows driver detecting the rate if there is a) no
crystal in there and b) no Channel Status available? Might it be the
clock being on PLL (I'm not realy aware of what that means right now)?

One thing might be of interest here: when switching the sample rates,
register 0x06 does the following: Bit 0, bit 4 and flash to 1 for a
short moment and back to zero (sometimes 2 times in a row).

0x06 = 0x11 (00010001) [flash to 1]
0x06 = 0x00 (00000000) [and back to 0]

Bit 0 is "PAR: Parity Error or Biphase Error Status"
Bit 4 is "PLL Lock Status" (1 being "Out of Lock")

Observation C (this is regarding ESI Juli):

dbx 376 tube channel strip spdif out goes to ESI Juli spdif in.
The FSx bits in register 0x07 of ESI Juli's AK4114 _do_ change on
different sample rates. They do not match those in the datasheet though:

1000 - 44kHz (expected: 0000)
1010 - 48kHz (expected: 0010)
1100 - 88.2kHz (expected: 1000)
1110 - 96kHz (expected: 1010)

So maybe this is another symptom of the ESI's misconfiguration?

> Back to the light indicating "sync source" in the windows driver. I
> think it is reading status of GPIO06 as you reported "INT0 (pin36) --
> GPIO6 pin 58". It would be possible to add a new read-only control for
> sync source to revo.c for ap192. It might be useful. Of course a generic
> method for ak4114.c would be more suitable but we would have to abstract
> the reading method.

Ok, why not adding a control for that. But first explain something to
me. I see these 15 control definitions "snd_ak4114_iec958_controls[]" in
ak4114.c. How are they accessed? Where can I read for example the
"IEC958 External Rate" value? In the proc dir they do not show up.
Neither at Juli nor at AP192. Are these only API functions?

- Jonas