[alsa-devel] Stupid question #1 of many -- unit test harness?

TJ Olaes contact at olaes.net
Mon Apr 15 02:44:29 CEST 2013

Hi.

So, I'm attempting to write the driver for the eClaro card for a couple of
reasons, one of which is that I currently don't have sound on mine.

So... is there some kind of test harness framework for new drivers?  I have
no prior idea how to move forward to build this thing, so I'm snooping around
in the oxygen source files and trying to copy things that look like they make
sense.  For instance, I noted that there's mention of an "AK4396" related to
output.  I assume this is some kind of chip, and I saw in the Claro code that
something called "ak4396_init(...)" is called, so I just copied that line and
pasted it into the eclaro_init(...) function I'm writing.

I have no idea how I'm going to test this short of just compiling the kernel
and booting into it.  I feel like that's the brute-force, non-smart way to do
it, and that you guys who've been doing this for a while might have ideas and
recommendations on how to better test my code so I'm not rebooting my machine
each time I change a line and recompile.

I'd appreciate your guidance, community.  Thanks.

-TJ