[alsa-devel] Can't connect to MIDI output of Edirol UA-1000

Colin Fletcher colin.m.fletcher at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:05:10 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I hope this is the right place to report this and ask for help: if
not, I'd be glad of a pointers to any more appropriate forum.

I've just recently noticed that connections to the MIDI output of my
Edirol UA-1000 fail when using the snd_ua101 driver in recent kernels.

Although the port is listed, connections to it fail from all the
software I've tried: qjackctl, a2jmidid and aconnect all fail to connect.

aconnect simply reports "Connection failed (Input/output error)";
a2jmidid -e says "ERROR: a2j_port_create: snd_seq_connect_to() for
20:0 failed with error -5"; and qjackctl reports no error but refuses
to make the connection.

I've observed the problem in stable kernels 3.0.39 and 3.4.11; it
works as expected when booted into a 2.6.32 kernel, where the
snd_usb_audio driver is used for the UA-1000. Other USB MIDI devices
appear to work fine with the newer kernels.

Incidentally, I also noticed that the 'Control' MIDI in & out of the
UA-1000 no longer appear when using snd_ua101, but I don't think this
is related, since changing the values of midi_ep.out_cables and
midi_ep.in_cables to 3 in the ua101_probe() function in
sound/usb/misc/ua101.c brings the control in & out back, but I'm still
unable to connect the outputs.

Any help, suggestions, patches or requests for more details gratefully
received!

Thank you,

Colin Fletcher.