[alsa-devel] [RFC] Channel mapping API (take 2)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Sep 7 11:43:22 CEST 2012

At Fri, 07 Sep 2012 12:16:14 +0300,
Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One additional wish for the channel map API: functions for converting
> between snd_pcm_chmaps and (machine-readable) strings. If channel map
> information is added to UCM, the UCM code will have to parse the channel
> map specifications, or if they are exposed as unfiltered strings to
> applications, then applications will have to do the parsing. In either
> case, having readily available functions to do the parsing would be
> useful. Applications may also want to convert the chmap into a string
> for logging purposes, for example.

At least, I already planned to provide conversion functions between a
channel and a string.  One concern is that I'd need to give two
different strings, in a short form like "FR" and a long form like
"Front Right".

For printing the whole chmap, I'd take only the shorter form so that
it can be separated by space letters.  Maybe I can provide a parser
from a string, and in this case, also only a short expression will be
allowed, I guess.