[alsa-devel] Kernel panic with SB Live (snd_emu10k1) when sharing interrupts

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 07:13:42 CEST 2012

> I have a Creative SoundBlaster Live! PCI (PCI-IDs:
> 1102:0002 and 1102:7002) which I recently ran into trouble with.
>
> I used the SB Live! to replace my SB128 PCI which ran fine in the
configuration (ASUS P8B-C/4L, see attached output from dmesg and lspci).
Once I swapped the sound cards, I booted up the machine and immediately ran
into a kernel panic [1] which seems to indicate that there is a problem
with interrupt sharing.

> I there removed the Firewire card which was placed adjacent to the SB
Live and the machine ran stable again.

> I assume that the snd_emu10k1 driver is sometimes not handling shared
interrupts properly, isn't it?

> I wanted to report this as a bug in the ALSA bug tracker [2], but alas
the tracker is currently down.

> I'm attaching the output of dmesg [3] as well as lspci [4]. Will provide
more information if requested.

on some of the asus motherboard, usually there is only one pci slot which
don't share int with other on board devices