[alsa-devel] [bug?, 3.1 -> 3.2.7 regression] ALC269 (ThinkPad L412): auto-mute mode disabled by default

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Mar 5 20:47:20 CET 2012

At Mon, 5 Mar 2012 13:40:30 -0600,
Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> Hi Takashi et al,
>
> Pavel Yakunin wrote[1]:
>
> > There is a problem with a headphones jack detection in the 3.2 kernel for the ALC269 codec:
> > sound comes from both speaker and headphones simultaneously and never switches between them.
> >
> > The problem arised when I upgraded my system to the 3.2 kernel, and when I rolled back to the 3.1
> > kernel, everything was ok.
>
> It turned out to be due to the auto-mute mode control, which is
> present on this model in 3.2 and not 3.1, being disabled by default.
>
> > On 2012-03-05 05:16, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
> >> One more test: if you run "alsactl init" as root, does the auto-mute
> >> mode control end up enabled or disabled?
> [...]
> > It ends up disabled.
>
> Versions tested:
>
>  3.1.y - auto-mute works, no auto-mute control present
>  3.2.y - auto-mute disabled by default but control works
>  sound/for-next as of 2012-03-03 - likewise
>
> Is this behavior intended?
>
> More details, including alsa-info.sh logs, at [1].

The auto-mute mode is enabled as default.  It hasn't been changed at
all.

So, it must have been disabled manually in the user-space side, likely
accidentally.  The saved asound.state is also evaluated by "alsactl
init", thus unless you clean it up, the disabled auto-mute status is
still applied.

Takashi