[alsa-devel] [Q] Writing an alsa module for usb audio & video capture device

Ezequiel Garcia elezegarcia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 23:50:06 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a driver for stk1160 usb bridge (audio & video capture device).
The video part is almost done [1] and now I've started the alsa part.

As the driver replaces an in-tree staging driver I could just grab the alsa part
from the original driver (called easycap), or look into em28xx sources.

But as I want to learn a thing or two in this life, I've decided to
take a look at sound drivers first.
Currently I'm reading through sound/usb/6fire driver (picked randomly).

I would like to know: do you have any suggestions and/or hints in
order to write a *nice* driver?
What driver would you consider as being a *correct* usb sound capture
implementation?

[1] http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/11577/

Thanks,
Ezequiel.