[alsa-devel] Compressed Audio Playback/Capture through ALSA framework

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 19:00:09 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Mark Brown
<broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:52:23PM -0500, pl bossart wrote:
>
>> I must be missing something here. Why would this media controller API
>> make things simpler? Based on what was presented at LPC, I don't
>> understand this last part.
>
> It'd make the tie up with algorithms part much easier as we could have
> an interface for transferring the compressed data alone and then
> externally describe how that's plumbed into any other DSP that's going
> on and the physical outputs - it'd help with treating the data transfer
> as a standalone problem.

Still not convinced. Why would you need to 'externally describe' how
compressed data is linked to post-processing. It's all part of DSP
firmware, why should anyone care how the decoder provides data to
post-processes? You can control post-processes with ALSA controls as
for regular PCM.