[alsa-devel] hda-intel front headphone (8086:27d8 1043:83bc)

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:13:36 CEST 2011

2011/7/12 Alex <xenogenesi at virgilio.it>:
>> > My knowledge of audio/alsa programming is really poor, but if someone
>> > suggest a patch I can setup the thing and do some debug.
>>
>> Try Takashi 's daily snapshot tarball
>>
>> you should able to get "Headphone Playback Volume" after this patch
>> "ALSA: hda - Code consolidation for ALC88x and ALC662 auto-parsers"
>>
>> using hda-emu and it seem the driver support 6 channels even when the
>> pink and blue jacks are not retasked
>
> Hi Raymond, thanks for your support
>
> built and installed the daily snapshot, the driver tarball only, now the mixer
> applications show adjustable headphone volume level, but still hear nothing.
> Should upgrade alsa lib or something else too?

you may need to provide output of alsa-info.sh

configure --with-debug=verbose

> Just a note, in the bios there's some related option:
> Audio Controller: [Azalia]/Disable all
> Front panel Support type: AC97/[HD Audio]
>
> I checkd both AC97 and HD with the new alsa-driver with the same result.

Do your computer chassis have a HD Front Audio Panel ?

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm#standards

You can also physically check the audio cable of the front panel audio
solution. If there is a cable connected to Pin 4, you have an HD Audio
module; if there is no cable to Pin 4, you have an AC97 module.

The difference between AC97 and HD Audio  "Front panel Support type:"
in BIOS setup
is Misc[11:8] of Configuration Default  is a bit field used to
indicate other information about the jack.
If bit 0 is set, it indicates that the jack has no presence detect
capability, so even if a Pin Complex indicates that the codec hardware
supports the presence detect functionality on the jack, the external
circuitry is not capable of supporting the functionality

you can use hda-jack-sense-test

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/85051