[alsa-devel] Major reworks on patch_via.c (TESTERS WANTED)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 5 07:25:32 CEST 2011

At Mon, 4 Jul 2011 21:37:46 +0200,
Jan Binder wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2011, 16:28:36 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > At Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:06:51 +0200,
> >
> > Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > as there have many problems reported for VIA codecs, I started looking
> > > at the driver code, and decided to rework on it.
> > > [snip]
>
> After not being able to compile the kernel from git, I now compiled modules
> from today's snapshot (up to 7b5017f56c69ef88f92e6472ec2578708b892211).
>
> I will describe what worked for me and what did not, as I lack the experience
> to point to details in the code.
>
> * When enabling Dynamic Power-Control in alsamixer, I get no sound, except on
> the internal SPDIF output.

OK, this and the third item make me wonder whether the jack-detection
works on your machine at all.  Could you check it via hda-verb or
whatever?

> * Independent HP worked, when I could turn it on in alsamixer and correctly
> produced sound with aplay -Dhw:0,2,0 . I could not always reliably enable
> Independent HP in alsamixer, sometimes it would not change status ans aplay
> claimed that hw:0,2,0 was busy.

This is intentional.  The switching is racy, so it can't be changed
safely when the multi-channel PCM is opened/used.

> * Headphone automute (muting rear line out when headphones are plugged in, if
> I understand correctly) does not seem to work in any setting.

See above.

> * I can only get SPDIF output from the internal connector on the mainboard
> (pin 0x20 if I interpret hda-analyzer correctly) and not from the SPDIF socket
> on the rear panel.
> It looks like this might be pin 0x21, which looks like an SPDIF Input in hda-
> analyzer, but the mainboard manual says that this should be an output.

You can change the pin 0x21 in user_pin_config sysfs file, then
trigger reconfig sysfs file dynamically.  See
Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio.txt file.

> * Output of alsa-info.sh is attached.

Thanks, I'll check it later.