[alsa-devel] Major reworks on patch_via.c (TESTERS WANTED)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jul 4 16:02:23 CEST 2011

At Mon, 04 Jul 2011 14:55:31 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > One notably thing is that the new (for codec VT1718S family) Master
> > control misses a few slaves, mainly:
> >
> > - as expectable, there's neither a "Side Playback Volume" nor a "Side
> > Playback Switch", since there's no grey jack (to support 7.1 systems,
> > my motherboard line-in (0x2a) should be re-tasked as output and get
> > input from the now available 0xc, which is no more used by headphones)
> >
> > - more noticeably, there's no "Headphone Playback Volume" control.
> > There was one in old implementation, explicitly created by
> > vt1718S_auto_create_hp_ctls(); within that function it was easy to
> > bind that control to the actual hp_nid (replacing any occurrence of
> > 0xc with spec->multiout.hp_nid in all relevant functions, the switch
> > from 0xc to 0xb was complete), given that the only reason to test
> > usability of dac at 0xb for headphone was, initially, to check whether
> > 0xc could be freed for use with 0x2a as side (and ensure, or confirm,
> > this codec family can handle as much as 10 channels - but to confirm
> > it definitely an attempt to retask 0x2a should be made).
> >

> > Moreover, looking at codec informations, now control "Independent HP"
> > is attached to hp pin, altogether with control "Headphone Playback
> > Switch". This should be somehow more consistent with those codecs not
> > using an intermidiate selector to choose the nid to get sound from
> > (perhaps the majority), so that such control always sticks in same (or
> > corresponding) places. However, this way there is more 'distance'
> > between such control and the 'real' nid it works on.
>
> Hm, I'll check this with your alsa-info.sh output.

The missing headphone-volume control is fixed now with the commit
18bd2c44b9c7f0ee775e756dd59e12e0939f7ab9
    ALSA: hda - Create HP-vol control properly for VIA codecs

For the retasking for a side-channel, I'm still considering what would
be the best.  Currently we have smart51 control while other driver
has "Channel Mode" enum control.  I think the latter can be used more
generically for both smart51 and side-channel re-tasking.