[alsa-devel] alsa virtual sound card (with networked output)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 11 16:35:42 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Metyl Methylius at 11/01/11 14:51 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if its possible to just create a "virtual" sound card
> using alsa which will just sent its audio stream to other computer
> (using TCP/IP or UDP for example). On the other end there would be
> some kind of server (or just nc -u -l -p 31337 | aplay ). I want to do
> it on alsa layer because other aps using alsa will get immediate
> support.
>
> It should be something like described in
>
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Network
>
> but with transparent support for all alsa based applications. I dont
> care about syncronization or transmission delay. Any pointers as how
> this could be done in alsa ?

Any particular reason you cannot use PulseAudio? It support usage from
existing ALSA apps and also works automatically with SSH by
piggy-backing connection settings on X11 root windows which are
accessable when the remote connection has X11 forwarding enabled.

> This mess was sent using 100% recycled electrons. If you want to get
> rid of this mess just turn off your computer,

:)

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie