[alsa-devel] ALSA: hda: hdmi: Hint matching between input devices and pcm devices

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Aug 25 23:37:12 CEST 2011

On 2011-08-25 19:41, Stephen Warren wrote:
> David Henningsson wrote at Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:14 AM:

>>> OK, so if the string that user-space sees already has the card name, that's
>>> probably enough in practice, although it still seems a little free-form.
>>>
>>> One issue with the above string: There's no delimiter that user-space can
>>> use to extract just the card name from the whole string. Perhaps add a
>>> ":" at the start so there's a delimiter?
>>
>> Or a ","
>
> Sure.
>
>>> "HDA NVidia: HDMI/DP (pcm 3)"
>>> "HDA NVidia: pcm 3"
>>>
>>> ?

>>> Are those two different analog outputs from the same PCM device?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> If so, I don't see a problem with having both those jack's input devices
>>> reporting the same PCM name; user-space will just see 2 matches and know
>>> that the PCM device is useful if either is plugged in.
>>
>> The problem is not that they have the same name, the problem is with
>> removing "HDMI/DP",
>
> Ah, OK. That makes sense now.

>> The jack input devices solve two different problems for HDMI and analog:
>>
>> For HDMI, my problem is that I don't know which PCM device to send the
>> output to (because there are four). The jack input device, with the
>> patch, fixes that problem.
>>
>> For Analog output, my problem is that I don't know which volume controls
>> are affecting the current output path. If the Headphone is plugged in,
>> this might be "Master" and "Headphone" whereas if it is unplugged, it
>> might be "Master" and "Speaker" instead.
>>
>> In theory, analog outputs could show up at both devices 0,2,4 and 5, but
>> in practice, all of them always [1] show up at PCM device 0.
>
> OK. I think those are just two aspects of the same thing; we always need to
> know which PCM to use and which controls to use; it's just that in practice
> sometimes that information is also implied by other means.
>
> So, I don't think a fully general solution hurts.

>>> That sounds pretty sane to me.
>>
>> Ok, I'm attaching a patch where the only difference is that the format
>> has changed according to the ,name=value syntax.
>
> Just one question: If the core code prefixes the card name onto this string,
> the HDMI code will pass in "HDMI/DP,pcm=3" and the core code will join the
> prefix on the front using a space, yielding "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3". Can
> we make the joining use a comma so that spaces within fields don't confuse
> the comma, i.e. "HDA NVidia,HDMI/DP,pcm=3"? Otherwise, does the card name
> end at the first space, the second, the last? (None of these work in all
> the cases considering that the second field might be "Headphones 2" with a
> space in it.

So, I don't mind a "fully general solution" as long as we during a
transitional period allow for a random string (without commas) before
the first comma, followed by ",name=value" strings. Value can contain
anything except commas, including spaces.
So let's work towards ",card=NVidia,type=HDMI/DP,pcm=3" (and maybe add e
g location or other stuff from pin default config as needed) but for now
it will be okay with "HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3".

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic