[alsa-devel] alsa-tools HDSP mixer broken

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Mon Apr 4 13:58:51 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 08:16:21AM +0200, Klaus Schulz wrote:

Hi!

> The official version of alsa-tools 1.0.24.1 seems to be broken.
> HDSP mixer won't run.
>
> I made it work though  with the git version.
>
> Would be nice if you could release a tools 1.0.24.2 soon. I consider this a
> critical bug.

Please don't release hdspmixer without having the preset load/restore
issue sorted out.

The ondisk structure contained no meta information, so it's already hard
enough to tell which version of hdspmixer created a given preset file.

Having more officially released versions available complicates things.
I've recently introduced a magic header for the new ondisk structure,
but it isn't stable, yet.

While I think it's perfectly acceptable to have unstable ondisk
structures during development, I would like to have a stable format
when releasing.

Current plan:

  - no magic: old (pre v1.0.24 format or broken v1.0.24.(.1))
  - v1 style: fixed format, maybe will become v1.0.24.2
  - v2 style: only single card instead of three cards in one preset file

Just my €0.02

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver