[alsa-devel] Emulated IEC958 Card

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Fri Sep 17 14:47:02 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 09:42:46PM +0900, Jassi Brar wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Mark Brown

> > The idea of having a full IEC958 emulation layer that just needs a
> > generic serial port or shifter accessed through some standard interface
> > seems entirely sensible.  This isn't so different to what things like
> > the McBSP, PXA SSP or FSL SSI ports do.

> Yup, I knew those features but am unaware of any situation where they drive out
> IEC958 - they just run I2S, SPI, TDM (?)

Me either, I just meant that this is a well known model for structuring
this sort of hardware and software so it should be a good model to
follow.

> Also, IMO, it would make more sense to implement it as a Virtual card
> independent
> of ASoC(outside of linux/sound/soc/), with number of devices equalling
> the number
> of shifters registered.

I agree, though it would be nice to have some facility for implementing
an interface between the two since you can get IEC958 I/O on ASoC
CODECs.  I don't think that's needed at first pass, but it may come up
at some point.