[alsa-devel] Hang in snd_pcm_writei with alsa-pulse plugin

Matthew Gregan kinetik at flim.org
Thu Nov 4 04:52:56 CET 2010

At 2010-11-04T11:29:39+0800, Raymond Yau wrote:
> when increase the sleep time from half period to one period, the hang occur
> after around 50 pause/resume cycles.
>
> did PA server  stop sending data to the sound card immediately when your
> program pause ?

Yes.  As far as I can tell, at least.

> But cannot reproduce your problem using the "pause" function of aplay
>
> which sound card are you using and did you change the pulseaudlo daemon.conf
> ?

I'm using the default daemon.conf shipped with Fedora 13, which contains
nothing but comments and newlines.  The sound card is: Intel Corporation 5
Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06) in a Lenovo W510.
I've seen this problem on other machines (including in VMWare and VirtualBox
based VMs) too, but I don't know what sound hardware they were using.

Cheers,
-mjg
--
Matthew Gregan                     |/