[alsa-devel] Type safe Haskell interface to ALSA sequencer

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue May 25 17:27:30 CEST 2010

Henning Thielemann wrote:
>   However I wondered, why I could create writeable ports in a output-only
> sequencer. Does this make sense? Would it be reasonable to forbid
> writeable ports in output sequencers and readable ports in input
> sequencers by Haskell types?

The PORT_CAP flags say what _other_ clients are allowed to do with the
port, but they do not enforce restrictions for the port's client itself.

For example, aplaymidi needs a source port for the events it sends, but
this port isn't of interest to any other application, so it doesn't set
_any_ CAP flag.

Whether an application can read/write events is determined only by the
INPUT/OUTPUT flags given to snd_seq_open.

> Is there a difference between cap_read|cap_write and cap_duplex?

In theory, the latter indicates that input and output are allowed at the
same time.  (In practice, nobody cares.)

>   I also wondered why there can be several ports in one sequencer, since
> multiple clients can connect to one port,

MIDI has a limit of 16 channels per port, so it is often necessary to
have multiple ports per device.

> and event_input and event_output have no port argument.

Events are sent between clients; their source and destination ports are
more like labels.

> Further I wondered why queues are not bound to a specific port. Can
> queues be shared amongst ports?

Queues are about _timing_; they allow events sent through them to be
timestamped and/or to be delivered at a specific time.

Queues do not have a direct relationship with ports, the events sent
through them have.

> Is it sensible to have multiple queues in one sequencer?

If you want to use multiple timers.

> Why has sync_output_queue no queue argument?

Because it does not actually apply to a sequencer queue.  Events that
are scheduled to be sent later remain in the sending client's output
buffer until they are actually delivered.  This output buffer is called
"queue" here.

> ... it would be worth to mention this in the API documentation.

I've added an entry to my TODO list to move the "documentation" TODO
entry further up.

>   In another example I called sync_output_queue in order to wait for all
> events being sent, but it aborted with "Operation not permitted", whereas
> I have seen example code where it works. What are the preconditions to
> calling sync_output_queue?

In theory, none except having the client opened for output, and I don't
see any code that could return -EPERM for this.

Regards,
Clemens