[alsa-devel] How to transfer more than 2 channels between i.MX25 & AD1938 using SSI?

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri Aug 27 13:45:12 CEST 2010

Hi Sven,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 04:39:51PM +0200, Sven Zeisberg wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> has anybody succeeded to transfer more than 2 audio channels between
> i.MX25 and a CODEC throught the i.MX25 SSI Port?
>
> We have succeeded to set the CODEC (AD1938) as Master to the required
> mode (TDM with 8 Timeslots and 32 Bit per Timeslot). However, as soon as
> we start to play a wav file with aplay, we can see on the logic analyzer
> that the data format on the SSI lines is reset to a stereo mode (2
> channels with frame sync changing level between channels).
>
> In the imx-ssi driver, I can see that .channel_max = 2 - therefore my
> question: does this driver support more than two channels at all?

You have to call snd_soc_dai_set_tdm_slot() with the correct parameters.
This function is currently relatively untested, so expect bugs here. I
would try something like:

snd_soc_dai_set_tdm_slot(cpu_dai, 0xfffff00, 0xfffff00, 8, 32);

slot_width is currently not handled in this function, this may be
wrong. I don't know whether a slot length of 32bit is supported at all
in the hardware.

I only tested this driver with 2 channels since I have no access to a
codec supporting something else.

Hope that helps

  Sascha