[alsa-devel] snd_dummy on Centos - Redhat

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Sep 8 15:19:50 CEST 2009

At Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:05:08 +0200,
Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Takashi Iwai<tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > BTW, I have merged topic/dummy-hrtimer branch into sound git tree now.
> > The standard alsa-driver-snapshot tarball below includes the patches,
> > too.
> >    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-snapshot.tar.gz
> >

> Takashi,
>
> I've tested your last tarball all day long :-).
>
> Turned out that the Skype client asks for a too much big buffer (or at
> least so it appears to me).
>
> Modifying the MAX_BUFFER_SIZE to 1024 and the MAX_PERIOD_SIZE to 512
> it runs smoothly and nice.

If this is true, I think it's rather a bug of Skype.
But we cannot check it by the obvious reason :)

> Would you mind to add those two as configurable parameters? That would
> allows for the direct usage of snd-dummy with the various kernels and
> Skype client without any source-code modifications, the ideal solution
> :-) .

I don't like adding too many module parameters.  There are many
other adjustable parameters in that struct, I simply added a proc
interface to show and store the values now.

Try the latest alsa-driver-snapshot tarball.  Note that the proc file
is enabled only in the debug mode.  With the external build, pass
--with-debug=full configure option.

thanks,