[alsa-devel] Issue with creative Xfi PCIe ca0110-IBG

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 9 16:36:46 CEST 2009

At Fri, 09 Oct 2009 16:15:00 +0200,
Guillem Solà wrote:

> Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:19:04 +0200,
> > Guillem Solà wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a Creative XFi PCIe with ca0110-IBG chip. It's primary use is
> >> audio input for streaming on a brand new Dell server with RHEL. I have
> >> been testing latest kernel 2.6.31 through it's releases candidates and
> >> the card stoped working on 2.6.31-rc6, so now I'm stuck at 2.6.31-rc5.
> >> With rc5 I made a 2 weeks test and it went flawlessly.
> >>
> >> There's another guy who referenced this issue on
> >> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2009-September/020876.html
> >> and Takashi Iwai said that there is a communication error between the
> >> codec and the controller.
> >>
> >> Any workaround? Is there a bug created related to this issue?
> >>
> >> I tried to "extract" the alsa-driver on 2.6.31-rc5 and install it 2.6.31
> >> final without success. Also tried to get old snapshots from alsa-driver
> >> and alsa-kmirror but I cannot compile them. Any place where get some
> >> info about how to create
> >>

> > Then some codes added after rc5 regressed?
> > The candidates are not so many but a few:
> >
> > deadff1665491afce124a8ff83f00f784161f660
> >     ALSA: hda: track CIRB/CORB command/response states for each codec
> >
> > a678cdee25a387c8fc3b2754974695412baf1d85
> >     ALSA: hda: take cmd_mutex in probe_codec()
> >
> > cdb1fbf23181c133fb24f12ad14ccea7dc399599
> >     ALSA: hda: take reg_lock in azx_init_cmd_io/azx_free_cmd_io
> >
> > c32649feb4573b31f0a2bfdf35cbe1351256c764
> >     ALSA: hda: read CORBWP inside reg_lock
> >
> > feb273404f15d86098cb0e81e46330d5c1e22b1b
> >     ALSA: hda: remember last command for each codec
> >
> > The suspicious changes are the first one and the third one.
> > But, anyway, it'd be helpful if you can bisect these.
> >
> > If you can use git, git-bisect would be the best to try.
> > Do bisect only for changes in sound/pci/hda directory between
> > 2.6.31-rc5 and rc6.
> >

> > thanks,
> >
> > Takashi
> >

> Ok I read how to do bisect with git and so on. Also take latest alsa
> from git.
>
> Now the question is do I have to do bisect from alsa-kernel? (that's
> what I'm trying now) but that implies recompile kernel in every step,
> isn't it?

If you can build the kernel by yourself, and you already find that
2.6.31-rc5 works as is, I recommend you to bisect the kernel tree.

As mentioned, the commits to bisect are only for sound/pci/hda
directory, and there aren't so many.  You can just rebuild the module
with "make M=sound/pci/hda" during bisecting.